Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mo Jo

One exciting thing about working with jo is that I have spent only a relatively short time practicing jo, compared with my years of Aikido training. When I practice an Aikido empty-hand technique, it's usually the case that I have practiced it hundreds if not thousands of times before, so it is an exercise in refinement, finding a new aspect of what is pretty much a well worn path. There are plentiful bad habits to overcome to be sure. Weapons training, on the other hand, I really am closer to a true beginner, so there is a newness to it, something exciting and fresh!

It's also exciting that I did not get bonked on the head today.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger uchi deshi said...

Not getting bonked is good. I ended up with 2 black eyes when I got hit in the face with a jo on 2 successive days. Of course, I have hit a few people by accident, too.

7:16 PM  
Blogger David said...

One advantage of 8AM class is that we're maybe a bit more subdued than an evening class, plus we're pretty much all weapons newbies, generally erring on the side of too much caution.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home