Wednesday, January 04, 2006

2006 Begins

I haven't been writing much, as I have been busy with other exciting
things, but I am still practicing fortunately. I made it to class this
AM, and I was awake early enough to put my contacts in, so I didn't have
to workout with glasses, or worse yet, without clear vision. It was a
good workout for me. I felt "on my game" until... suwari waza!
(techniques from kneeling position) The problem with suwari waza is
that it's just plain difficult to move on your knees! As I get tired, I
start to get lazy with my movement and I end up out of position or off
balance. So a lot of my development also has to do with physical
conditioning. One thing I have worked on is maintaining awareness
during all parts of a technique. I have noticed that the mind goes in
and out of perceptive mode. Even during a single technique, I may be
paying attention during the first second, but then my mind takes a split
second to wander ("I wonder what I'll have for dinner?"). As you can
imagine, this is not ideal when taking a fall. You can think of the
infinite levels of perceptiveness, from the most basic movements such as
which foot is forward, to the most refined exact positioning and
balance. You begin to be able to control movement when you become aware
of the finest details, and until you are aware at this level, you cannot
conciously control it.

Sensei has officially been promoted to 6th dan! This is a major big
deal. It is a great privilege to train here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home