Friday, September 14, 2007

Alright Already...

Thanks to my 1 confirmed reader, "uchi deshi", I will actually get off my proverbial ass and start posting again.

I am still training, tis true! I am still as enthusiastic about Aikido as I have ever been, though it is always a struggle to fit it into my insane schedule.

To catch you up on .. everything, in June I (finally) tested for 3rd kyu. According to Charlie, I hold the dojo record for the most years of training to get to 3rd kyu. Yeah, when you take a break for 10 years that's easy to do.

In our dojo, we begin to wear hakama "skirt" when we reach 3rd kyu. Because of the summertime heat (plus the fact that I would have to actually learn to tie the thing), I put it off until a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find that it makes a difference in my technique! It lowers my center by a little bit and the flow of the hakama for some reason enhances the flow of the body.

Friday AM class today. Matt is testing for 4th in a couple weeks. Sensei had him demonstrate a few techniques. He was very nervous. I hope I have a chance to work with him before the test.

Hal Lehrman Sensei seminar next week! Come on down y'all!

1 Comments:

Blogger uchi deshi said...

Congratulations on the 3d kyu! I was always told it's the 1st big test. And, by the way, it took me 10 years to get to my 3d kyu, too. I started, trained for a year, and then went to law school, started working at a busy law firm, and didn't have the chance to do Aikido until I moved to San Diego.

We don't wear hakamas until shodan, but I also found that it helps my Aikido - once I learned not to trip on it!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home